Project peace from spacetocreate on Vimeo.
An intergenerational art project made in response to the 100 year anniversary of WW1 armistice day, exploring what peace means for different generations today.
The project involved 12 attendees from Meadowpark Day Centre and 8 pupils from Prendergast Community Primary School in Haverfordwest. Working with artist Pip Lewis, over 6 sessions during September and October 2018, participants created artworks for an exhibition as part of the Haverfordwest End of World War 1 Commemoration Programme.
Prior to the start of the workshops, Pip curated a selection of photographs from the Pembrokeshire and The First World War Exhibition at Haverfordwest Town Museum and photographs and documents from Pembrokeshire Archives, focusing on images which captured children’s lives in Pembrokeshire at the time and how the end of WW1 was commemorated in Haverfordwest.
Participants, who ranged in age from 7- 96 years old, worked in pairs using copies of archive documents to create layered collages. These were overprinted with original photographs, which had been transferred to silkscreens using photo emulsion. The artworks were completed with a final printing of the word Peace in 8 different languages. During the course of the workshops both the children and older people shared their interests and hobbies with each other, and discussed the many changes that had taken place during their lifetimes. The pupils, who are all from families who are currently serving in the forces, brought in photographs and documents of their great-great-grandparents who had served in WW1 and several of the participants from Meadowpark were evacuated to Pembrokeshire in WW2 and shared their memories of their childhood, along with photos of themselves from this time.
The project ended with a trip to Scolton Manor Museum to visit The Great Silence: how Mourning became Remembrance, an exhibition looking at how the rituals of mourning changed due to the horrors experienced during theGreat War, and how the ceremony of Remembrance began.
Project Peace was celebrated at a remembrance assembly at the school before being exhibited for four weeks from November 12 at spacetocreate. The exhibition lives on in a communal space shared by the school and day centre.
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”23″ gal_title=”Pembrokeshire and the First World War.”]
Today I visited the VC Gallery and ,et Trustee Mr Marten Lewis who also is director of the Darwin Project. the VC Gallery does immensely useful work. I was really struck by their Picasso exhibition.
Sunday, 13th September
Every September, across Europe, Civic Societies are encouraged to try to make buildings available to the public that might not otherwise accessible. Haverfordwest Civic Society has a good record on this and on the 13th September, Pembrokeshire County Council has given permission for the old gaol at Haverfordwest Castle to be used.
A prison, or ‘House of Correction’, had been created during the 1770s within the inner ward of the castle but it was an extremely ramshackle, grim affair consisting of a double decker, timber arrangement against the north eastern wall. Prison reformers, most notably John Howard, Elizabeth Fry and much later Charles Dickens campaigned endlessly for improvement in the treatment of prisoners but it was slow coming. As the result of an outbreak of scarlet fever, which the whole prisoner
population succumbed to, a decision was made to build a new prison. With grant money of £1,500 from the
government in 1817, the prison was built that we are all familiar with.
This prison, for the county, was in addition to the tiny town gaol that stood originally in the Mariner’s Square before being moved a few yards to a point immediately below St Mary’s Church wall. A huge treadmill was erected in 1820 at a cost of £473 to provide the element of hard labour. The wheel was built by and was the invention of Sir William Cubitt whose engineering talents led to him being used internationally and he introduced a water supply to Berlin and surveyed the Paris to Lyon railway. Two teams, each of eight to ten prisoners were used on the wheel.
Rare clock acquired for museum
The Haverfordwest Town Museum is delighted to have acquired a rare late eighteenth century long case clock made by Stephen Crunn (1755-1813) of Haverfordwest in around 1790.
The clock is of mahogany with a polished brass face and the numerals infilled with black wax.
The purchase was made possible thanks to a grant from The Beecroft Bequest and a loan from Haverfordwest Town Council.
Charles Davies, Chair of Trustees, Corinne Codd and Simon Hancock (Curator) receiving a Commendation at the PAVS Annual Volunteering Awards at Letterson in 2014